COM-P Class of 2024’s Long-Awaited White Coat Ceremony

Aug. 17, 2021

Several members of the College of Medicine – Phoenix Class of 2024 come together for a group photo after their long-awaited white coat ceremony.

Before more than 300 cheering family and friends, the 100-member University of Arizona College of Medicine – Phoenix Class of 2024 received their white coats and recited their oath in their long-awaited ceremony. 

The Class of 2024 voted last year to postpone the tradition and rite of passage until they could gather safely in-person with family and friends. Their first year of medical school was conducted virtually.

“I can tell you (family, friends and loved ones), it was truly important for these students to have you here to celebrate this moment. They didn’t want to be 'white coated' without you in attendance, and that is a testament to the important place you hold in their hearts,” said  Glen Fogerty, PhD, MBA, associate dean of admissions and recruitment.

The Class of 2024 marked the first cohort of 100 students for the college. Not only was the class size 20 percent larger than previous classes, it also is a more diverse class. About 55 percent are from Arizona and the other 45 percent are from 17 other states. Of the Class of 2024, about 57 percent are female and 43 percent male. Sixty percent come from socially disadvantaged, educationally under-resourced, underrepresented areas in medicine or rural upbringings.

A version of this story was originally published on the UArizona College of Medicine – Phoenix website. Photos by College of Medicine – Phoenix Marketing and Communications.